BlaBlaCar’s vision is to bring fairness, freedom and fraternity to the world of travel.
BlaBlaCar was created in 2006 with one dream in mind: fill the millions of empty seats on the road to create an efficient, affordable and friendly way to travel. Today, our global, trusted community counts 75 million members in 22 countries, enabling a smarter, large scale and truly sustainable transport network.
Born from a simple idea of people sharing their rides, BlaBlaCar’s ambition is to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility. We offer long distance carpooling service, a commuting carpooling service, and since 2018 a marketplace bus service too. A filled bus emits one third of the emissions per passenger kilometer as an average car. So we want to fill those seats too!
In 2018, 84 million travellers used BlaBlaCar globally saving 1.6 million tons of CO2. Meanwhile we enabled human connections, bringing people closer together in more ways than one with 87% of members say that carpooling is an enriching experience.
BlaBlaCar offers a truly and unique international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 8 offices in Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo, Warsaw. English is the official spoken language across BlaBlaCar. We are privately-held and founder-led. Our team of 500 employees is entrepreneurial, passionate, and fundamentally mission-driven.
One of BlaBlaCar’s core ambitions is to build the largest people-powered travel network in the world. To achieve that goal, we set ourselves high and ambitious targets, bringing tech and data to the heart of a renewed product experience and company strategy.
The engineering team:
Two of the key company priorities for the next 12 months are:
the ongoing migration from a monolith architecture to a service-oriented architecture, from a PHP/Symfony stack towards a Java / JS- dominated one.
exciting product evolutions, based on smart geo-matching and practical algorithms that give a personalized experience to each individual user.
By joining our Engineering team, you will be working alongside talented individuals grouped in small agile teams that each have strong ownership on their piece of these goals.
The core of our stack is composed of Java, React, Android, Swift, Go, PHP/Symfony2, KafKa, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Redis.
To structure our Engineering team, we are looking for highly performing individuals with strong technical background, that are driven by positive impact on end users.
By joining the Trip team, you’ll be building the heart of our new technical platform based on a state of the art service oriented architecture. We are building the algorithms behind the search engine that allow us to match millions of travellers together.
As Senior Software Engineer, your role is to lead the design of our solutions, making sure they are robust and scalable. You will also contribute to the development of the stack by developing features, guiding younger engineers in their choices and helping them to build a cloud compatible architecture.
What you will directly contribute to:
- Reporting to the Engineering Manager, in a team of 8 developers
- Being in charge of tech solution choices, from architecture design to effective delivery in production
- Spending more than half of your time as an individual engineering contributor within the team
- Encourage the transition from an on-premise architecture to a cloud base solution by understanding how to leverage best our cloud provider abilities
- Driving the developments (java preferred but not mandatory) and animating the software lifecycle
- Fostering positive atmosphere around excellence and ambitious goals in your team
- Encouraging skills development of your fellow colleagues
- Ensuring qualitative documentation of tech decisions and code to allow smooth onboarding of newcomers on any given project
What you will need to be successful:
- 5-8 years’ experience in engineering teams within hyper-growth tech companies
- Strong track record of technical contributions
- Master 2+ tech languages (at least one object-oriented language) and eager to constantly learn new technologies
- Practical knowledge of ops tools (monitoring, deployment, containers, linux…) and willingness to contribute in building a true DevOps environment
- Comfortable with change, uncertainty and a high velocity environment, experience of agile methods
- Hands-on, pragmatic and collaborative attitude
- Fluent in spoken and written English, proficiency French is a plus
A few practical details about the role:
Start: As soon as you are ready!
Contract: Permanent contract (CDI)
Benefits: Competitive package according to profile and experience, combined with a career development plan
What we offer all of our employees:
The opportunity to have a meaningful impact, building a CO2-saving global travel network enabling strong human connections too.
A strong “Fun & Serious” company culture
An international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 8 offices around the world (Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo, Warsaw)
State-of-the-art office spaces, in a great location
And some other great perks!
Free carpooling to live our value “Be The Member”.
Annual BlaBlaBreak which takes us all for an unforgettable weekend
Possibility to work from another BlaBlaOffice abroad for a week once a year (BlaBlaSwap)
The choice between the latest Mac or PC equipment
- Opportunity to attend Tech conferences in France and Europe
A start-up spirit grounded in agility & teamwork
Challenging career opportunities in a high-growth and fast-paced environment
Bi-Weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn from each other
Weekly Tech Demos, so that we’re all up to date with where our product stands
What is next?
If you are ready to join our exciting journey, please apply below: upload your resume in English (PDF format) and answer our questions in English.
Kindly note that only complete applications will be reviewed by our hiring team and that all your information will be kept confidential.
You can expect us to review your application within the following 3 weeks. If your application and profile fit our requirements, we will invite you for a (list the different steps of the process here).
BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.