Tesla Motors is seeking a mechanical design engineer with a minimum of 5-10 years of experience designing products for high-volume production. This engineer will have design and release responsibility for electro-mechanical assemblies in Tesla’s world-leading production EV’s.
Will be responsible for design and release of enclosures for Instrument Cluster, Media Control Unit, custom modules, brackets, user controls (switches, buttons, actuating mechanisms), etc., using your breadth in packaging of electronics devices and equipment and in selection of hardware.
- Assessing and documenting the requirements for a particular system.
- Gathering input from team members and synthesizing inputs into a preferred concept.
- Developing in CAD: system interfaces, master model and detailed part models, (Catia v5 preferred but not required).
- Designing metal and plastic parts (formed, injection molded or die cast, machined, extruded, etc).
- Creating 2-d part documentation appropriate for high-volume production methods and inspection methods (including GD&T).
- Working with product lifecycle management software for managing and releasing structured bills-of-materials.
- Fabricating proof-of-concept prototypes to validate feasibility of new designs.
- Managing prototype vendors for parts fabrication.
- Assembling prototype systems and testing these to validate design.
- Strong knowledge of materials properties and applications, fabrication methods.
- Basic sense for thermal issues and cooling flow and methods.
- Experience includes multiple projects taking parts from initial concept and design through to production.
- Have a passion about electro-mechanical product design, inventing solutions, and finding better and simpler ways to meet product requirements.
- Be able to perform required analysis to ensure a successful design (stress, strain, thermal, tolerance, cost and mass optimization, etc) or to direct resources for this work.
- Have experience designing mechanical control outline drawings for PCBA’s, in specifying electrical connectors, in considering wiring and EM shielding, in managing heat within electronic assemblies, and in creating enclosures and structures to make a physical module which can be deployed into real-world customer applications.
- Be able to present data/trade-offs to management to facilitate the making of decisions.
- Have had primary technical and design responsibility for all aspects of small mechanical or electro-mechanical assemblies which were successfully produced in moderate to high volume.
- Experience in safety critical industries (automotive, medical, aero-space) and in cost/weight critical applications is preferred.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.