Babbel is driven by a purpose: Creating mutual understanding through language. This means building an ecosystem of language learning offerings that helps people connect across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Live and Babbel for Business provide users with the most effective solution to be able to communicate with real people, in real situations. The key is a blend of humanity and technology.
More than 60,000 lessons across 14 languages are hand-crafted by 180+ linguists, with user behaviours continuously analysed to shape and tweak the learner experience. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove its effectiveness. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 65 nationalities represent all the differences that make humans unique. Babbel is the most profitable language learning app worldwide, with more than 10 million subscriptions sold. For more information, visit www.babbel.com or download the apps in the App Store or Play Store.
We are looking for a DevOps - Data Engineer (full-time) to join our Data Engineering team in Berlin.
As DevOps - Data Engineer, your mission at Babbel will be to change the face of language learning one automation at a time. Working alongside your teammates in a fast-paced environment, you'll be collaborating and diving into different areas such as Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Site Reliability, InfoSec and many more to deliver innovations right on our Babbel learners hands.
- Shape our data platform
- Secure our precious data and the infrastructure it relies on
- Keep the data moving towards where is actually needed (streaming and batch)
- Automate them all!
- Monitoring and alerting (might be boring, but… refer to the point above)
- Participate in our knowledge sharing sessions (we're a learning company after all!)
- Excellent knowledge of AWS
- Mastered Terraform and Github Actions (or not, but you know your way around pretty well)
- Produced high quality Python code and are willing to keep doing it
- Been there, done that, at logging, metrics, monitoring and alerting (better yet if you still love it!)
- A general understanding of structured/unstructured data and SQL/NoSQL databases
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Nice to have:
- Implemented ETL/streaming pipelines with Spark (extra points for Databricks)
- Scheduled complex data flows with Airflow or DBT
- Showed interest in Machine Learning / have experience building ML-driven or algorithmic data products
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- 30 vacation days and flexible working hours
- Free access to 8fit Pro and discounted Urban Sports Club membership
- Family and life situation support and counseling
- Jobbatical and Sabbatical options
- Many internal & external learning opportunities to choose from and a yearly Learning & Development budget
- Visa and relocation assistance
- Full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes
- Modern office in the heart of buzzing Berlin equipped with a family, music, faith and nap room
- Various internal communities to be part of including the Femgineers+, DEI Ambassadors, Accessibility & Disability Group and more
Join one of the fastest-growing education technology companies and contribute in making learning a whole new experience. And of course: get full access to our world-leading language learning content!
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.